TVRage has a terrific interview with Daniel Gillies, who gives some great in-depth answers to questions about the character of Elijah and the challenges of playing his restrained demeanor. He also talks about the differences between The Vampire Diaries and The Originals, which is set to premiere on October 15th..
TVR: Absolutely. So, just to tease us, your fanbase, here: how do you think ‘The Originals’ is going to differ from ‘The Vampire Diaries?’ What can we expect?
DG: I think it’s going to be a lot more about family, the writing always returns to family. The bonds and, dare I say it, sometimes the manacles of family. I think that it’s going to be a little darker. I think it’s going to be a little bit more adult.
It’s Vampire Diaries Season 4 DVD time! The UK is estimated to get it on August 26th 2013, while the US has to wait a teensy bit longer until September 3rd 2013. The set will contain the usual goodies in the form of a gag reel and deleted scenes, featurettes looking into the mythology presented over the course of the season, and an analysis of Elena’s journey into vampirism.
Pre-order from Amazon:
Good news, Vampire Diaries fans! The CW have released the Fall 2013 premiere dates, and we’re happy to be able to give you the dates for The Vampire Diaries and The Originals. So, mark the following down in your calendars:
The Vampire Diaries premieres:
Thursday, October 10th, 2013, 8/7c
The Originals premieres:
Tuesday, October 15th, 2013, 8/7c
These dates are for North America. Sorry international fans, we don’t have any dates yet for other countries yet, but we’ll let you know when we do!
- The Originals twitter treated us to this great still featuring Claire Holt and Joseph Morgan from the spinoff show. [CWOriginals]
- Arielle Kebbel weighs in on whether we’ll see Lexi in Season 5. [Zap2It]
- Tired of Stelena vs. Delena? The Golden Remote Awards want to know which love triangle you’re so over. Voting ends July 5th. [E! Online]
- Torrey DeVitto’s film, Evidence, has a release date. It hits VOD on 6/21 and select theaters on 7/19. [Shock Till You Drop]
- The official TVD Twitter account reminds us that full episodes are streaming on the CW’s site and offers us a cute mock-up of TVD tissues to wipe your tears. [CWTVD]
- In honor of the many workplaces celebrating Take Your Dog (Or other pets!) to Work Day, Ian Somerhalder offered a photo of his cat, Moke, in his office. [iansomerhalder]
Warner Bros. has just announced its plans for Comic-Con International, and both The Vampire Diaries and The Originals have panels – and there’s a special Originals screening, too! Via Give Me My Remote:
WEDNESDAY, JULY 17 • BALLROOM 20
For the sixth straight year, WBTVG gets Comic-Con off to a dramatic start by hosting a special sneak peek, world-premiere screening event on Preview Night, debuting some of the most hotly anticipated new series of the year. For 2013, WBTV will screen the complete pilot episodes of Almost Human, The Tomorrow People and The 100 for the first time ever in public. Additionally, WBTV will unveil a special presentation of The Originals on the big screen, featuring never-before-seen footage that did not air as part of “The Originals” episode of The Vampire Diaries episode in April.
SATURDAY, JULY 20
The Originals (Tuesdays 8/7c The CW): Series stars Joseph Morgan, Claire Holt, Phoebe Tonkin and Charles Michael Davis join executive producer Julie Plec.
The Vampire Diaries (Thursdays 8/7c The CW): Comic-Con veterans Nina Dobrev, Paul Wesley, Ian Somerhalder, Kat Graham and Candice Accola join executive producers Julie Plec and Caroline Dries.
They have not announced times for the panels yet, but we’ll let you know when they do. Please note that the exact panel lineups are subject to change, but it’s great to see that both shows are getting a share of the spotlight! Comic-Con International will be held at the San Diego Convention Center from July 18-21; read all about it at the official site.
Entertainment Tonight Online interviewed Leah Pipes about her role in Lifetime’s Jodi Arias movie, but they also took some time to discuss her upcoming role on The Originals.
ETonline: As the lone human in this world, how long do you think she could or should stay in the dark?
Pipes: Yeah, it’s like Cammy and the tourists wearing fannypacks … and they’re all definitely going to die, so it’ll just be me [laughs]. As of now, she’s working at a bar, owned by Sophie, who is a witch. So I can see them having a friendship. She also seems to be creating a friendship with Klaus and it sounds like Marcel is trying to groom her to be his queen; I don’t know if someone will spill the beans or she will put two and two together, but she has no human friends, it can’t take that long!
Hiatus drags on, but you can still get your weekly dose of The Vampire Diaries: The Killer (EP405) will air at 8/7c.
Episode refresher course:
Miss a post this week?
- Torrey DeVitto tweeted the fun pic above of Paul Wesley, David Anders, and Ian Somerhalder, while many of our fave TVD stars were together for a convention last weekend. [Twitter]
- Our friends at Retrofit Films – they’re the ones who put together the Vampire Diaries special features for the DVD/Blu rays – have co-produced a short film called Guitar Face, which stars Drew Powell and former TVD guest star Cassidy Freeman. Here’s the official description: Guitar Face, a short film produced by Retrofit Films and Small Fish Media, releases on June 24th, 2013 exclusively on chill.com. Written by Gloria Calderon-Kellett (Writer/Producer of How I Met Your Mother, Rules of Engagement), Guitar Face was an Official Selection at the Columbia George Film Festival and won the Audience Choice Award at the NELA Art Festival in Los Angeles. It is the story of a broken-hearted bartender at a burlesque club and how he works through his breakup by taking over the stage with his original and often inappropriate songs. There’s a pre-sale for $1.60 from June 11-June 25 at chill.com. Be sure to check it out!
- If the collective screaming from the staff didn’t clue you in today, Joseph Morgan announced he’ll be filming a movie with one of the most talented actors on television, Walton Goggins. Dermaphoria is a film adaptation of a cult novel by Craig Clevenger. Morgan will play a chemist who needs to recover his memory to find out what happened to his girlfriend. If you need me, I’ll just be over here crying in anticipation. [Hollywood Reporter]
- Arielle Kebbel will be hosting a new dating show on The CW called Perfect Score. On the show, two friends will compete against one another to win a date with one of a group of 12 single people. It debuts on July 16th. [YouTube clip 1][YouTube clip 2]
- We told you about Kayla Ewell’s new movie, The Demented, a few weeks ago, and now there’s a trailer for the horror flick. [Shock Till You Drop]
- Paul, Ian and Nina are all up for E! Online’s Golden Remote Awards Drama King & Queen. Voting ends July 5th. [E! Online]
- Today is the last day to nominate your favorites for the 2013 Give Me My Remote Awards! I wonder if Klaus slaughtering hybrids to a Christmas ditty counts as a musical number? [Give Me My Remote]
- Paul Wesley looked great in a suit at the amfAR Inspiration Gala. I’d expect nothing less. [Zimbio]
- The stunning Kat Graham attended the Man of Steel premiere in London. [Zimbio]
We’re all still slogging through the summer hiatus, but you can still get your weekly dose of The Vampire Diaries: The Five (EP404) will air at 8/7c.
Episode refresher course:
- Reaction post & poll
- Complete songlist
- Crissy Calhoun’s recap: The Importance of Feelings
Miss a post this week?
- Season 5 Teases via Hollywood Life + A Message To Graduates from The CW (VIDEO)
- Friday Night Bites, June 1-7: Gymnastics, New Roles, & Next Big Things
Julie Plec was in Austin recently for the ATX Television Festival. At the TVD panel she gave a few teases for the upcoming season and Hollywood Life has the goods.
…Julie said fans will really enjoy Stefan’s doppelganger story line, which will allow Paul Wesley to flex his acting muscles as two completely different characters.
“[There will be] a pretty cool mythology that will carry on in terms of Silas, and the mystery of his past — 1,000 or 2,000 years ago,” she said.
Not going to lie, we are pretty excited to see Paul Wesley tackle this new challenge. READ MORE SEASON 5 HINTS AT HOLLYWOOD LIFE.
Speaking of new challenges, congratulations to all of you who are graduating this year! The CW also wants to wish you all well, and someone over there has a great sense of humor. Check out their TVD-themed message for graduates.